7.08.2010

An unkept house

I love to look at home design and decorating magazines. I also love Pottery Barn (love may not be strong enough a word!) and miscellaneous other home decorating catalogs that so kindly arrive in my mailbox from time to time. I love to get ideas and dream about what a house I design and build one day would look like. Aren't these beautiful?!?!?!?!!! If you want to see more click here.


Don't misunderstand me, I am fully aware that designing and building my own home may or may not happen...ever. You also have to understand that we have a great house already that has truly become our home. We've painted nearly every room in here and put my own 'stamp' on them. I love most everything about this house and could easily live here for the rest of my life.

When I get these great home magazines and catalogs they have beautiful rooms, fully decorated and completely uncluttered (see above photos). There is no stack of mail sitting on the dining room table, no toys from two lovely daughters on the floor or every other flat surface of the room and no dust in the corners. You can even see the top of the desk. When does that ever happen?

My house, on the contrary, looks that neat only when I'm hosting a birthday party or other such gathering (and only for a small window of time). Most days you will find mail on the counter, toys on the floor, clothes in the living room (from a small girl who has decided to change for the 2nd, 3rd or 4th time that day!) and perhaps even...gasp!...dirty dishes in the sink.  Oh yes, you will probably also find laundry on the floor of the laundry room (dirty) or on top of the washing machine or dryer (clean).

I've come to the conclusion that I like it neat and uncluttered but not enough to devote every waking moment to keeping it that way. When I have a free moment I'd prefer to catch up on email, read a magazine, paint my nails, watch TV or sit quietly without two sweet voices asking questions, telling stories or singing songs. I do not want to follow people around picking up everything, every waking moment of the day. Not my thing although God bless you if that is your thing.

Another thing I often think is that someday the little people of this house will no longer have blocks, dolls and little outfits that they like to try on. Some day they will grow up, move on and I'll wish I had those little fingerprints on my windows. So I leave them around more then I probably should. At a recent art festival I saw a sign that read something like, "Please excuse the mess, my kids are making memories." I love that sentiment. I nearly bought it but decided that it would only add to the clutter around my house. (smile)

So we will always live in our home whether it is this one or a dream home we build someday. There will always be 'stuff' around us. If you stop to visit you won't find a photo-shoot-ready bunch of rooms. You'll find a house that's used and occasionally abused...just as it should be, I guess.

The above quote seems especially fitting and was the inspiration for this post. Gina Sekelsky, Dreamland Designs owner and lettergirl on etsy, wrote it so beautifully. Doesn't she have the best handwriting?!?!!! Check out her blog which is always full of wonderful quotes. If you're in the shopping mood you can check out her etsy shop too. Click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your message will be posted shortly!

Related Posts with Thumbnails